As A Beginner At Yoga, What 3 Stretching Exercises Should You Start With?
Yoga is one of the most holistic exercises in the world, and the best thing is that you can do it anywhere and it requires no equipment. As a beginner, you can forego the mat, until you create a routine. There are yoga poses for various functions but our goal today is to look at the three stretching exercises to start with as a beginner at yoga.
- Stand with your feet together, and distribute your weight evenly through the soles of your feet. Relax your shoulders, with arms by your side.
- Inhale deeply through the nose and raise your hands above your head with the palms facing each other. Ensure to keep the arms straightened, and elongate your spine by reaching out towards the sky and lowering your pelvis.
- Hold the pose for at least 10 deep breaths or as long as is comfortable.
Seated forward bend
- Sit on the floor with your legs extended straight in front of you, sitting tall.
- Inhale and lean forward moving your hands towards your toes until you feel a deep stretch in your spine and hamstrings.
- Hold the pose for at least one minute or as long as is comfortable.
Extended Triangle Pose
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and your arms extended parallel to the floor.
- Rotate your foot slightly inwards and rotate your right foot to a 90o but be sure to keep both heels aligned.
- Exhale and extend the torso over the right leg and bend from your hip and walk your hands down the right leg until you get to the ankle. Press your heel into the floor.
- Hold the pose for at least 30 seconds or as long as is comfortable, then repeat on the other side.